The Tools for the Digital Frontier
My digital station transceivers configured and ready for action on the base desk. Staging these modern dual-band digital rigs alongside a hotspot gateway provides the ideal desktop framework for mastering codeplug architectures and cracking the squelch on global networks.
The Breakthrough Call: Demystifying the Ultra CodePlug
BridgeCom set me up with an appointment for tech support over the phone. On August 9, 2026, the phone rang and Jeremie (W9JAM) from BridgeCom was on the line. Acting sort of like a technical Elmer, he actually took control of my computer and helped me set up my Maverick handheld to work with my SkyBridge.
Together we rolled up our sleeves and spent about an hour diving deep into the backend of my digital handheld gear. Working steadily through the configuration software, we began making precision modifications to my Ultra CodePlug using the CPS (Customer Programming Software) specifically configured for my BridgeCom Maverick handheld.
The crown jewel of our session was structuring a brand-new, customized "My Favorites" zone. Instead of scrolling through hundreds of generic entries, Jeremie helped me isolate seven key target talk groups tailored exactly to my radio interests, mapping out a clean digital layout:
- MI 1 DMR Nets (TG 3126): The primary channel for local and regional traffic, emergency preparedness check-ins, and Michigan statewide amateur nets.
- NA Astronomy (TG 31175): A fascinating special interest network used by station operators to connect with other amateur radio astronomers, aerospace enthusiasts, and scientific discussion nets across North America.
- WW Aviation (TG 9102): A global talk group focusing heavily on aviation discussions, pilot nets, and live aircraft tracking talk.
- Military Vets (TG 98008): A dedicated worldwide network node for active duty military, veterans, and their supporters to share regional check-ins and heritage nets.
- Pi-Star Chat (TG 31672): A digital technology support channel dedicated entirely to configuration chat, WPSD/Pi-Star update announcements, and general hotspot troubleshooting.
- US Nationwide (TG 3100): A broad monitoring channel encompassing national traffic, dynamic routing, and statewide linked nets across all fifty US states.
- Worldwide (TG 91): The classic international calling channel used to monitor global traffic, bridge contacts with foreign amateur stations, and test multi-country network routing.
One idea I would like to accomplish came from something Jeremie said about the length of the list. I would like later go back into the CPS and create another zone. I might call it something like "Faves (English)." The new zone would only include foreign countries that used English as their primary language. By doing that, it would shorten the list substantially for scrolling on the radio screen.
Cracking the Squelch on My First DMR Contact
A few hours after wrapping up the programming session, the real magic happened. Standing in my shack with the AnyTone and Maverick handhelds ready, I watched the status lights on my SkyBridge Hotspot flicker to life. It was time to test the RF bridge.
I tuned over to my brand-new favorites zone and selected the MI 1 DMR Tech Net. Right on schedule, net control operator Dana West (KC0MYP) came over the airwaves with a clear, digital signal. When Dana called for check-ins and rechecks at exactly 00:41, a rush of excitement hit. I picked up the microphone, keyed the PTT button, and sent my callsign and location out into the local room.
The main topic for the evening’s net was the amateur radio Grid Square system—a subject perfectly suited for a tech net. When my turn in the rotation came at 00:47, I had the floor. I shared with the net that according to my official QRZ profile, my home QTH sits right in grid square EN82ij.
It really did feel pretty amazing to actually make my first DMR contact. There is a lot more to learn, but it felt really great!
I explained to the group how deeply integrated grid squares are into my modern shack workflow. I track them constantly using MacLoggerDX alongside various other amateur radio applications running on my MacBook Pro. I also highlighted the practical side of the coordinate system: because grid squares are mathematically built directly around your exact latitude and longitude, they provide the precise directional headings needed for automated antenna adjustments on a rotor when turning a beam to work distant DX stations.
My actual exchange with the net lasted for about 5 or 6 minutes of solid, clean copy before I unkeyed and turned the frequency back over to Dana at net control.
The Digital Logbook Dilemma
Once the net wrapped up, I sat down at my desk and ran into a classic beginner's question: how exactly do you record a hotspot-bridged DMR contact in a traditional amateur radio logbook? Because the signal goes from a handheld to a local hotspot box before riding the internet to a worldwide server, the standard rules feel a bit different.
To keep my records consistent, I decided to establish a standard baseline for this new mode, entering the following parameters into my station archives:
- Callsign Logged: KC0MYP (Since Dana was operating as the official Net Control Station managing the frequency).
- Time ON/OFF: The exact, precise block of minutes when I actually held the microphone and spoke on the air.
- Operating Band: 70cm (Since my handheld was transmitting on the UHF band to talk to the hotspot).
- Power Output: 1 Watt (My handheld was set to low-power mode, which is all you need to clear the distance to a living room gateway).
- Frequency: 446.500 MHz (The direct RF part of the contact linking my radio’s antenna to the SkyBridge).
- Location QTH: I recorded the physical location of the control operator to document the far end of the RF net.
- Comments: Explicitly noted "MI 1 DMR Tech Net" to preserve the history of the activation.
As time goes by and I log more hours on the digital talk groups, I am certain that how I record DMR contacts will get more refined. But looking back from my 1970s "Star Child" days of analog tube gear and tuning dipoles by hand, mastering this digital frontier is an incredibly rewarding part of the lifelong DMR learning curve.
Catch you on the talk groups! 73,
Destiny

No comments:
Post a Comment